Wednesday, October 8, 2008

It's a thoughtful time .......

As we near the Thanksgiving holidays ~ it magnifies the thoughtful aspect of the day ~ usually this time of year is a time of reflection for me ~ summer coming to a close, fall is my favorite time ~ where I find myself being more aware of the outdoors and my surroundings more than any other time of the year ~ kids back in school, events, activities ~ starting up or ending ~ etc etc etc. At this time my thoughts are constantly pulled back to my amazing bossman Dave and his family ~ for those that are close to me they know how close I am with my employers and their family ~ basically we have grown together. When I came to work for them my son was just a young boy and now he is a young man, I have been here for over 10 years and really my employers and their family is my work family. I have openly discussed how 2 years ago when Dave was first diagnosed with cancer and started his fight, how it affects everything ~ from the inspiration that he gives me for all that he has gone through, his amazing mind set for what he is still going through, and his facing reality of what is to come ~ he is an amazing man. Since his cancer has come back earlier this year ~ and he had to go back into chemo treatments ~ it's been a long go, the treatments this go around have taken alot more from him, strength, health, his hair ~ we have come to dread his chemo weeks knowing the days to follow take such a toll on him, completely drag out everything he has and beats him up ~ it's a hard time. This week is his last chemo treatment for this go around, which in itself brings all sorts of stress ~ next week scans to see if the last go around has done enough damage to the lesions so they can operate ~ or if his care from this point forward will only be pallative ~ I feel like my heart is twice it's size lately, with the ache I feel for them all. Last year I lost my dear Uncle Harry to cancer, he also had a long and difficult battle ~ and I struggle to understand how to come to terms with this very cruel disease that robs people of their lives and affects everyone around them.

I have friends that are also dealing with a loved one being ill with cancer ~ and my heart goes out to all ~ and my thoughts and prayers are with them.

2 comments:

Andi said...

wow...very touching post today Sherri. It reminds me of how we must never take anything for granted and to be thankful for what we have all year long...not just during thanksgiving.

Laura said...

beautiful blog entry Sherri...I am sorry you are having to deal with this...it can't be easy. Hang in there my friend.