Friday, November 12, 2010

Sometimes .....


and somedays it's really hard to keep up with all that is going on around me in life, all the things we are doing, experiencing, planning. And as hard as I find it to keep my life and schedule straight then I have others around me ~ I think life these days just flies by at such a hectic pace, it's funny and probably ages me ~ but I do remember a simplier time (long ago like when my son was born and before that) where life seemed to tick by at a more simple and slow pace. I really do miss that kind of life, can't say technology has done us a favor that way ~ everything is a "wham, bam, thank ya mam" experience these days ~ fast, quick, everyone on the run ~ having a hard time connecting. I just want to close my eyes and scream "SLOW DOWN!!!" somedays ...

Our trip to Jasper was lovely - too short ~ but lovely to get completely away, the mountains are always a good for my soul experience, for I find them so majestic, awe inspiring ~ I am a nature lover anyway, nothing pleases me more than to go for a walk down by the river valley or on some forest (or mountain) path and just take in all that is around me. The weather in Jasper was not that great - actually blizzarding on our way in on Friday night, cold and wet for the most part ~ but when we went for our jaunt to Athabasca Falls on Saturday the weather cleared for a few hours and it was so beautiful. Really humbles a person and trully makes you thankful for the simple beauties we have around us, we are very blessed to live in a place where there is so much natural beauty and breathtaking views a few hours away. Eating in Jasper - or I should say eating out was a 50/50 crap shoot this trip - the first lunch we had at a restaurant called Papa George's (it was on the internet as a gluten free choice) unfortunately the staff on that day were not as careful (?) or knowledgable (?) to gluten free eating ~ and both Kevin and I were a bit unwell after our meal. Surprisingly Kevin even more than I. So we were a bit skittish when it came to choosing a supper place, we were tired and cold from our few hours out in the beautiful fresh air, so we took a chance ~ went and talked to the front desk at our Hotel (The Amethyst) and they said the restaurant in the hotel (Anthony's) was very aware of gluten free eating and would be accomodating. So we went to our room and made the choice to stay in the hotel and eat ~ and it was lovely. They were more than accomodating, felt very safe in the knowledge of the staff and the chef ~ our meals were delicious and we felt no ill effects at all afterwards - I would go back and eat there anytime - no matter where we would be staying. So the get away was lovely ~ did have a few ups and downs but then doesn't everything? Nice thing is that Kevin and I are able to talk about it and usually smooth out anything that comes up quickly ~ we both understand the word compromise haha. ;)

It's been a bit of a dip for both of us lately ~ so the trip was nice just to refresh our spirits a bit ~ unfortunately the beginning of the week brought us back into the day to day stresses of late, but approaching each day and tackling whatever comes our way. Received some very upsetting news from my mother on Wednesday ~ my dear cousin Robbie's throat cancer has come back with a vengence, and he is heading into some very serious and hopefully life saving treatment. Unfortunately the treatment is so hard on his body that they have to hospitalize him while he is under the intensive chemo as it tends to shut down the lungs if they are not strong enough. My heart is aching for all his family ~ and my prayers and thoughts are with him during his next stage of battling this very cruel disease.

It is definitely another wake up call that we really need to pull happiness from life when we can, and really be blessed with our own little spot in the world ~ be happy for those we love, love dearly those we care about ~ and be thankful for each day we are given in fair health and roofs over our heads, hold our children closer and tell those we love that we love them ... right now.

I am so blessed for those in my life ...

No comments: